Sensei Reece is the Head Instructor, and the owner of the Kodokan Matsubayashi-ryu Cummings Karate Dojo. He is an internationally qualified instructor who has trained extensively in Okinawa, Japan. He is a Yondan (4th degree black belt) in Matsubayashi-ryu Karate-do.
Sensei Reece is a Kancho (館長), or branch director/head of dojo licenced by the World Matsubayashi-ryu Karate-do Association located in Okinawa, Japan. He is also the Director and Chairman of the the Centre for Martial Arts & Human Development Incorporated, an incorporated non-profit organisation.
- Diploma of Sport Coaching (with martial arts as the elective subjects) from the Australia Institute of Sport and Recreation
- Accredited Karate Coach through the Australia Karate Federation which is endorsed by the federal government and the Australian Sports Commission’s National Coaching Accreditation Scheme (NCAS)
- Class C State Referee/Judge for the Australian Martial Arts Championships
- Level 1 Sports Trainer with Sports Medicine Australia
- Prohibited Weapon & Article Permit holder for Tonfa and Nunchaku under the ACT Prohibited Weapons Act
- Working with Vulnerable People - General Registration through the ACT Government
- First Aid and CPR qualification
Outside of Karate, Sensei Reece maintains his full-time day job. Despite teaching over 300 karate classes a year, he believes that by having a day job as the primary source of income, and not using Karate or the dojo, it ensures that quality will always be paramount over quantity, and that there is no need to sacrifice tradition or hard training in order to make money. Sensei Reece also practices non-religious form of zen, and incorporates zazen (shikantaza), a form of Japanese sitting meditation, into the dojo's karate classes, and believes in the saying kenzen ichinyo (karate and zen as one).
In addition to Matsubayashi-ryu Karate-do, Sensei Reece has trained in Okinawan Kobudo (weapons), Ninjutsu, Judo and military self-defence.
Mr Dave, Dai-Senpai, 2nd Dan
Mr Dave is the dojo's dai-senpai (大先輩), or most senior student, and has been with the dojo since its opening in 2009. He is a Nidan (2nd degree black belt) in Matsubayashi-ryu Karate-do and earned both his Shodan and Nidan under a panel of judges in Okinawa. Mr Dave has also trained with Soke Nagamine, Sensei Arakaki, and Sensei Carlyle.
Mr Dave is accredited as an internal dojo 'Assistant Instructor' and regularly assists with the juniors program, and takes classes in Sensei Reece's absence. He is an Accredited Karate Coach under the National Coaching Accreditation Scheme (AKF/ASC).
1st Dan (Provisional)
INTERNATIONAL & AUSTRALIAN INSTRUCTORS
1st Soke, Hanshi 10th Dan
Okinawa, Japan (b. 1907, d. 1997)
2nd Soke, Hanshisei 10th Dan
Kaicho, Hanshi 10th Dan
Fuku-Kaicho, Hanshi 10th Dan
Honbucho, Renshi 6th Dan